Kappan Managing Editor & Online Content Strategist
PDK International is seeking an energetic, intellectually curious journalist who will oversee editorial content for both Kappan magazine and its related web sites.
Kappan magazine is one of the oldest and most prestigious publications serving the K-12 education community. Its unique audience comprises K-12 practitioners, education policy makers and thought leaders, and higher education scholars and researchers who focus on K-12 education. Kappan is published eight times a year (80 pages per issue), and its staff of three also plays an active role in all or part of several organizational web sites. Kappan publishes the PDK Poll of the Public’s Attitudes Toward the Public Schools (pdkpoll.org) each September.
The longtime membership organization that powers Kappan is evolving into a network of educators and others who believe that every child deserves to have a highly skilled professional educator teaching them every day and that every educator should have access to the information, support, and resources they need to implement thoughtful solutions to improving teaching and learning, whether in the classroom, the schoolhouse, or the central office. As the organization changes, its publications also need to change.
Working with the Kappan editor-in-chief, the managing editor/online content strategist will manage the day-to-day operations of the magazine and web site, including selecting and editing articles for publication, working with authors, and managing the Kappan web sites. With the Kappan editor-in-chief, the managing editor/online content strategist will develop and execute a strategy for creating a more robust online presence for Kappan magazine that will amplify our content for an audience that is passionate about K-12 education.
This editor will work in PDK’s Arlington, Va., office but will be working closely with colleagues located elsewhere. This requires someone who is both a self-starter and who also is able to work collaboratively with colleagues s/he does not see daily.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have deep knowledge of K-12 education issues and the individuals with the experience and expertise to write effectively about them.
- Excel at conceptualizing and executing an entire issue of a magazine, understanding how to address many interests and balance many viewpoints in building a coherent and authoritative presence.
- Find and cultivate subject-matter experts and leaders in the profession who can write publication-worthy articles and adapt that content as needed for a sharper digital presentation.
- Have exceptional organizational skills and be able to manage multiple competing tasks effectively while meeting deadlines and maintaining high quality for all products.
- Have impeccable command of the basics — spelling, punctuation, grammar, and syntax.
- Exhibit exceptional attention to detail and outstanding skills in all aspects of editing — writing, copy editing, content editing, proofreading, headline writing — for both print and online publishing.
- Have demonstrated ability to translate complex ideas into readable and accessible prose notable for its authority and style.
- Be able to communicate with multiple generations of readers, both through the publication and via social media.
- Have the exceptional personal skills necessary to work with the talented and knowledgeable researchers and practitioners who write for Kappan but who may not be as polished in their writing as professional writers.
- Be proficient at APA and AP style, comfortable working with Microsoft Word and Adobe Creative Suite products as well as new and emerging social media.
General experience and knowledge of SEO best practices and site metrics. HTML skills and experience with CMS systems would be a bonus.
A minimum of 10 years experience as a professional writer and/or editor with responsibilities similar to those detailed above.
At least a bachelor’s degree, preferably in journalism or English. Education experience is a bonus but not a requirement.
This is a great opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a highly respected magazine. We are seeking an individual of outstanding quality with a respected track record. PDK International is prepared to offer an attractive compensation package, including a competitive base salary, bonus potential, as well as health, 403(b), and vacation benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Your resume and cover letter will serve as your application; in your cover letter, please detail your compensation needs.
To be considered for this role, submit the resume (including salary expectations) and cover letter to HR@pdkintl.org with the subject line exactly: Kappan Editor. Deviation from this subject line will cause a delay in processing your application.
Deadline for first round applications is July 30, 2016. Email applications only, we do not accept phone calls.
PDK International provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, PDK International complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
PDK International expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of PDK International’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.