DIRECTOR OF FINANCE
Reporting to the chief operating officer (COO), the director of finance will be responsible for oversight of all finance, accounting and reporting activities. The director of finance will lead all day-to-day finance operations, supervise a an accounting bookkeeper, and support the senior leadership team. The director of accounting will work closely with all staff to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures and to explore how the finance function can support program operations.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an upcoming leader with seven to ten years of accounting and finance experience. She or he will ideally have experience in a complex nonprofit or association that has multiple programs.
- Maintain internal controls and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures
- Direct supervision of part-time bookkeeper
- Build and improve on financial procedures
- Prepare/review journal entries
- Maintain records for all general ledger activity
- Maintain budget information in the Accounting software
- On a monthly basis, review assigned department(s) budget to ensure that department(s) expenses are within the parameters of the adopted budget
- Manage all audit and 990 activities
- Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership abreast of XYZ Nonprofit’s financial status.
- Assist leadership in the annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans and compare to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate
- Support the COO in engaging the board’s audit and finance committees around issues and trends in financial operating models and delivery
- Oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period; collate financial reporting materials for government, corporate, and foundation grants
- Manage organizational cash flow forecasting by working in partnership with the program vice presidents; continuously collaborate with program vice presidents to assess the financial efficacy of program operations and establish finance and administrative systems to support program operations
- Proactive hands-on strategic thinker who will own, in partnership with the COO, the
responsibility for finance and accounting
- Proven experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, and accounting for investments
- Management and budget experience
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills – written and oral
- Ability to learn new programs
- High level of confidentiality and business ethics
- Able to work well both independently and as a member of a team
- Leadership, ensure staff and leaders have core competencies to deliver quality, integrated services
- Experience managing grants
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance, or related field
- Financial stability, maximizing organizational efficiencies through productivity and program improvements
- Keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which allows for strategic data interpretation versus simple reporting
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to HR@pdkintl.orgwith the subject line “Director Finance.” Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER
Phi Delta Kappa (PDK) International is a distinguished education membership association, whose research elevates the discourse in education. PDK provides products and services to help schools and school systems reimagine the school experience for students, staff, families, and community members.
The Marketing and Communications Manager will be responsible for ensuring sustainability of the organization’s mission through effective promotion and marketing of our various products and services. This position will also help bring our mission to life through varied efforts including, but not limited to: social media, data-driven marketing and communications campaigns, microsite work, conference strategy and attendance, print and direct mail, and more.
The MarComms Manager reports to the Chief Operating Officer, and is at the forefront of this work. You will be responsible for developing, implementing and executing strategic marketing and communications plans for the organization in order to attract potential clients and retain existing ones. The ideal candidate will possess a quantifiable record of success in K-12 or non-profit branding and communications, with a demonstrated ability to influence current and potential markets.
- Develop, implement and evaluate an annual marketing and communications strategy based on organization objectives and the rhythm of the K-12 school year (i.e. school budget cycles, holidays, etc.)
- Oversee all public relations activities to include press releases, media interactions, content creation and curation, creation of marketing materials, and establishment of branding guidelines
- Analyze market trends to make sound recommendations for strategy, identify weaknesses in potential marking campaigns, and develop pragmatic solutions within budgetary restraints
- Measure and report on market campaign performance to ensure alignment with organization objectives and strategic plans, and division Balanced Scorecards and logic models
- Develops all internal and external communications programs to include, but not limited to, print and online advertisements, website management, newsletters, and RFP review
- Monitors press stories related to PDK and its brand, as well as relevant education trends in order to maximize opportunities for positive public relations and dismantling of negative PR.
- Additional marketing and communications duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, business administration, or related field
- Prior experience as a marking or communications manager in a similar field a plus
- 3+ years of marketing and communications experience in the non-profit or K12 education sector
- Proven track record of excellence in a fast-paced work environment and managing tasks, time, and projects effectively
- Exceptional communicator, both verbal and written, and excellent presentation skills
- Confident decision-maker who performs well under pressure and tight timelines
- Must possess excellent organizational and planning skills
- Experience implementing and using Social Media platforms, Salesforce, preferred
PDK International is prepared to offer a competitive compensation package, which includes a competitive base salary, as well as generous 403(b), vacation, and health benefits commensurate with experience and proven results.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are passionate about social impact and looking to make a difference in your professional career, we encourage you to apply for the Marking and Communications Manager position. If you are interested in changing the way we recruit and prepare teachers in this country and support system-leaders, passionate about education and Social Justice, and have a strong desire to meet and exceed goals, then you might be a perfect fit for the Marketing and Communications Manager position.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to HR@pdkintl.org with the subject line “Marketing and Communications Manager.” Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
EDUCATION AND POLICY SOCIAL MEDIA ACTIVIST (Part-Time)
Are you an avid follower of education policy and the influencers shaping the conversation on education?
PDK International is looking for a dynamic part-time social media activist who can promote PDK’s vision, products and data in a timely and efficient manner. PDK’s brand consists of: looking at education as a complex issue, elevating the conversation, being intellectually honest, asking the right questions, and changing the narrative around our core values of social justice, engagement, excellence and results in education.
With elections afoot and the discussions of education taking a more prominent part of the 2020 conversation, PDK’s Social Media Activist will work to help create and execute a social media strategy around our programs and promote our relevance in the narratives surrounding education.
Reporting to the Marketing and Communications Manager, the PDK Social Media Activist will also work closely with division directors and the CEO to shape the social media presence for this upcoming cycle and maximize PDK’s social media presence. This role will also support the social media activity of the CEO, who is a social media influencer for education conversations.
The ideal candidate has a background in social media content creation, can write creatively and concisely, and is a follower of digital marketing trends.
- Execute social media strategy across all programs
- Create engaging copy and images to distribute across platforms
- Attend local PDK events to share content via social channels in real time (live tweeting, IG stories, etc.)
- Develop and maintain a social media editorial calendar
- Define and track social media KPIs
- Collaborate internally with the programs team and externally with our partners to ensure social media needs are met
- Stay up to date on current education activity and digital marketingtrends
- At least one year of experience in social media marketing
- Expertise in Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
- Experience with social media marketing tools such as Hootsuite, Sprout Social, etc.
- Proficient in Adobe creative suite
- Excellent communication, collaborative, and analytical skills
- Strong interest in achieving diversity, equity and inclusion in the education space
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates should email a cover letter, resume, and a link to one social media handle that they have recently managed to HR@PDKIntl.org with “Social Media Coordinator” in the subject. No phone calls please.
About PDK International
“Engaging educators and strengthening schools, so every student thrives.”
Established in 1906, PDK International supports teachers and school leaders by strengthening their interest in the profession through the entire arc of their career. We honor educators as professionals who learn daily from their work and want to share their knowledge with others to transform the lives of their students and their own specialized work. Today, we are transforming into a vibrant social sector organization that will activate educators and other stakeholders to elevate the discourse around teaching and learning to ensure that every child has access to a high-quality education.
PDK International is comprised of seven divisions, Phi Delta Kappa, Pi Lambda Theta, Educators Rising, Kappan Magazine, the PDK Poll, PDK Education Partnerships, and the PDK Education Foundation. We are driven by the core values of social justice, engagement, excellence, and results.
We are a serious organization for serious educators (who don’t take themselves too seriously). We serve to embrace the complexity of the issues in education, are intellectually honest, strive to ask the right questions, and hold both sides of the debate accountable. We work to change the narrative and elevate the conversation, but most importantly, we work to move the needle and get things done.
About Pi Lambda Theta
Pi Lambda Theta (pilambda.org) is one of the nation’s most prestigious education honor societies. Established in 1910, Pi Lambda Theta serves to recognize outstanding students who intended to pursue careers in education. With more than 185,000 individuals who have been inducted across the nation, membership signifies a commitment to academic excellence and the teaching profession.
About Educators Rising
Educators Rising is transforming how America develops aspiring teachers. Starting with high school students, we provide passionate young people with hands-on teaching experience, sustain their interest in the profession, and help them cultivate the skills they need to be successful educators. Every teacher should enter the profession with the necessary skills. Educators Rising is a powerful way to help communities grow the next generation of well-prepared teachers.
PDK EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
PDK International is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.