Travel to Peru with PDK: July 18-27, 2016
CEO Joshua Starr will lead PDK International’s next study trip: a 10-day service learning tour in Peru from July 18-27, 2016.
This trip will blend professional development, cultural experiences, and service learning. This tour is offered in conjunction with EF Tours, an international tour group that has managed previous PDK trips.
The sightseeing portion of the 2016 trip will include visits to historic locales, such as the Government Palace, Machu Picchu, Korikancha Temple, Monastery of San Francisco, Sacred Valley of the Incas, and Pisac market.
Travelers will join an active service learning opportunity on Days 7 and 8 of the trip. This activity is tentatively planned to involve building a greenhouse that provides food production in an arid community and making improvements to a local school infrastructure.
Exertion level – Moderate to Strenuous
To ensure that everyone enjoys the travel experience, travelers to Peru should be in excellent physical and mental health and able to keep up with the pace of the group. Traveling as part of a group requires flexibility and the willingness to tolerate occasional changes or delays that are common during any trip.
The Peru trip involves moderate to strenuous activity. Participants should be able to:
- Walk/hike over uneven ground with no paving and the possibility of obstacles such as roots, water, or rocks in the path, which could require agility to overcome;
- Walk/hike up to one hour on terrains that could include steep hills or steps with inclines of more than two flight of stairs at a time;
- Participate in activities that occur at an elevation above 7,000 feet; and
- Participate in construction activities in duration of several hours that requires balance, agility, and active participation.
Tour managers are responsible for the whole group and will not be able to assist individuals with special needs.
Estimated tour cost*
Scholarship application period – Jan. 19 to Feb. 1, 2016 (now closed)
Open enrollment period – Feb. 22 to April 5, 2016 (Deadline closed)
With Chicago as the departure and return city: $3,985
With Dallas-Fort Worth as the departure and return city: $3,835
With Los Angeles as the departure and return city: $3,750
With New York City/Newark as the departure and return city: $3,910
With Atlanta as the departure and return city: $3,760
There will be a required additional fee of about $110 to provide customary gratuities to tour guides and drivers. Gratuities will be collected in cash on the day of arrival.
* EF can provide a detailed price quote out of your departure/return city. For prices and more information, email email@example.com with your departure city. Additional fees apply for single-room accommodations. All fees are subject to change.
The 10-day Peru trip will include:
- Round-trip airfare;
- Full-time tour director;
- Hotel accommodations (shared rooms);
- Airport transfers and transportation (motorcoach, ferry, and night train) between destination cities;
- Breakfast and dinner daily (Dinner is not included on day 1 if the group arrives after 8pm);
- Lunch on days 3, 4, 5, 6;
- Sightseeing tours led by licensed local guides;
- Walking tours;
- Entrance to San Francisco Monastery, Cuzco Cathedral, Sacsayhuaman, Pablo Seminario workshop, Ollantaytambo, and Machu Picchu.
NOTICE: Travelers MUST register with the name that appears or will appear on their passports. Name changes will result in a minimum $200 fee, in addition to any costs incurred by the airlines. These costs grow significantly as the departure date draws nearer.
Information regarding passport renewals and applications can be found at www.travel.state.gov. It is the responsibility of the participant to obtain the proper travel documents. Neither EF nor PDK International will issue refunds if a traveler does not have a valid passport or visa (non-U.S. citizens) for travel.
For more information, call 800-766-1156 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.